Sunday, May 3, 2009

The fires in California

OMG, we got evacuated from our house yesterday and so I’m sitting here with nothing to do, so my mom said to go write about it. We live in the San Fernando Valley of California, right outside LA. A few days ago a fire broke out in the hills near us. It happens every year, but this year it was closer. Someone came to our house in the morning pounding on the door telling us we had to evacuate. My mom got us all up and we packed up the stuff we wanted to keep. Then she went across the street to the neighbor’s house. They said it was a false alarm and to not worry yet. My dad was in DC for the week so my mom and grandpa were at home with me and my sister.

My Grandpa took me to my soccer game, but my mom and sister stayed home in case we had to evacuate. So then yesterday morning my mom woke up at 5am and the hill right behind our house was on fire. She woke us up and we got any extra stuff we needed and put it in the car. Like 2 minutes later the police and fire fighters were coming up and down our streets ordering an immediate evacuation. They were on loud speakers screaming “this is an immediate evacuation…you must leave now.” Somehow we got the cat from under the bed, the dog, and we all piled into the cars and we left. I turned around and looked back and the whole hill behind our house was burning.

It was so scary and we still don’t know if our house is OK. We’ve heard that it made it, but that others didn’t. Hopefully we’ll get to go home tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment